Sponsorship of new pilgrims is one of the best ways to keep that fire burning within you during your Fourth Days.
For more information email the Community Lay Director or visit the Upper Room.
Sponsorship is an act of love for God, for the participants in the Walk to Emmaus, for the Emmaus Community, and for the church. It is a demonstration of agape love.
A sponsor will:
- Pray for the participant’s openness to God’s call to discipleship.
- Make an appointment with the participant (or participating couple) to discuss his or her participation in Emmaus.
- Invite the participant to take part in Emmaus for the sake of a more vital relationship with Jesus Christ. The sponsor shares his or her faith, explains the basic purpose, elements, and follow-up dimensions of the Walk.
- Ask the participant to make a commitment by filling out a registration form. If the participant is married, the sponsor will speak with both partners and encourage an equal commitment by both spouses.
- Support the participant’s Walk through prayers and otherwise. The sponsor will also support the participant’s family by house-sitting, baby-sitting, watering plants, picking up mail, feeding pets, or just checking in with a spouse to see if any help or support is needed.
- Encourage the participant in his/her continued journey and take the participant to Emmaus “gatherings” after the Walk weekend is over.
- Help the participant re-enter his or her church and consider ways to act out new commitment and enthusiasm.
- Help the participant sponsor others.
Who should go to Emmaus?
Emmaus is open to members of any Christian denomination. Emmaus is for the development of Christian leaders who:
- Are members of a local church
- Have a desire to strengthen their spiritual lives
- May have unanswered questions about their faith
- Understand that being a Christian involves responsibility
- Are willing to dedicate their everyday lives to God in an ongoing manner